New Orleans is known for many things, but two stand out significantly – Food and Festivals! Mix those two together, and you’ve got a winning combination! We’ve got the information you need to decide which one (or three!) of these gastronomical galas you’ll want to enjoy this fall!
Starting just a little early, we have two fests in September:
1) TOP TACO – this amazing fest takes place on September 23, 2021 at 7pm in Lafreniere Park. We recommend you buy your tickets as soon as possible, as they will sell out early. Your tickets get you unlimited taco tastings, all created by over 35 of NOLA’s incredible restaurants, accompanied by adult beverages, and the opportunity to vote for New Orleans’ Top Taco! The event benefits The PLEASE Foundation, which provides mentoring, leadership training, and scholarships to at-risk students in New Orleans.
2) Beignet Fest – a Crescent City institution, the beignet is a fluffy, mouthwatering fried-dough delight! This festival is held at the Festival Grounds in New Orleans City Park on September 25, 2021, from 10am-6pm. Your ticket purchase (all online this year) gets you entry with dozens of delicious beignet creations, sweet and savory, for sale, an Abita Beer Garden, a Kid’s Village, 5 live music acts, and an Artist’s Market. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
in October, we have a few more:
3) OKTOBERFEST – who can mention fall festivals without Oktoberfest? This celebration of German food, music and culture is known for the Beer Garten, but the food! In the main food area, you can have a German Dinner, which will consist of a rotating menu of entrees including schnitzel, a sausage plate, and more, plus dark bread and a choice of two sides. The snack booths offer such delights as brats, pretzels, cheese, pickles and strudels. The fest runs on Fridays and Saturdays from 10/22 – 11/13, 2021 at Deutsches Haus, 1700 Moss St., New Orleans, LA 70119. Cost of entry is $8.
4) National Fried Chicken Festival – Created to draw people together over the love of fried chicken, this two-day events is taking place Saturday, October 23, from 11am to 9pm and Sunday, October 24, 2021, from 11am. to 8pm at the New Orleans Lakefront. Vendors from all over the nation applied to present their chicken creations, including, of course, New Orleans restaurants. Multiple diverse musical acts will be performing, food critics will judge a best fried chicken contest, and you will get enough to eat!
Lastly, we have our November festivals:
5) Greek Fest – this yearly festival is back for 2021 on November 5-6, 2021, at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral (directions), with an $8 entry fee. You will enjoy Greek music and dancing, an Agora (outdoor market), Ouzo and Greek beer to drink, and wonderful Greek food, including souvlaki, baklava, dolma, spanakopita, and gyros. Don’t miss the pastry shop, with over 20 traditional Greek favorites!
6) Fête des Fromages – otherwise known as the Cheese Fest, will take place at the New Orleans Jazz Museum on November 6, 2021. Dozens of fromagers will present an array of amazing cheeses from all over the world. From past events, we may expect cheese and wine pairings, cooking demonstrations, live music and more.
Don’t wait to make your reservations at 1896 O’Malley House and buy your festival tickets so you can be assured of a wonderful, comfortable home base for your festival frivolities and a soft place to rest that full belly!
*Due to the uncertain nature of restrictions, please check the websites of any fests you may want to attend to make sure that they are still being held, and/or require proof of vaccination for entry.